My Favorite DIY beauty remedies

Eggs, Baking soda, Salt, Lemon, Curd. What came to your mind when you read this? Something to do with food; a recipe for a dish perhaps? However when you mention these items, or any other food ingredients to Manasvi, the first thing that pops in her mind is a recipe for homemade beauty remedies, or as we call them in India: ‘दादी  के घरेलु नुस्के ’! There is no kitchen ingredient that she can’t use to improve her hair,skin,nails,etc. So I thought it’s time she wrote a blog on her favourite DIY beauty tips.

Hey There!
Mitali’s right, I am obsessed with DIY beauty remedies. I prefer homemade skincare recipes to store bought products (besides the obscenely high cost of such products, who knows what went into them). To start with, I have combination skin (definition- a surface where dry flakes and oil rigs coexist in peace). My hair is sort of straight, kind of wavy (depends on its mood) and totally frizzy (btw blow drying does help with the frizz, I finally succumbed after ignoring my hair dresser’s advice for years!)

 

FACE (To get that चाँद सा रोशन चेहरा )

1. Egg & Lemon Sheet Mask  

Want baby soft skin in 20 minutes? DO THIS. My mom hates it when I try crazy home remedies (mostly because of the mess I make….and the smell) but this is one mask she swears by (it has anti-ageing properties)!

Method: Separate the egg white from the yolk, mix the egg white with 1 tsp lemon juice and apply all over the face with a cotton ball. Then put a thin layer of tissues over it while it’s still wet! Keep for 15-20 minutes or until it dries and then enjoy the peeling process (my favorite part). Rinse face and pat dry.

Easy way to separate egg yolk.

2. Activated Charcoal, Multani Mitti, Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) Cleansing Mask

This mask is really great for cleansing skin and getting rid of all dirt and dead cells. It makes your skin squeaky clean and soft (two for the price of one!)

Method: Mix equal parts Activated Charcoal and Multani Mitti with just enough ACV to make a paste (in a plastic or glass bowl ONLY). For this mask I prefer the monkey cap application- avoiding area around eyes and directly under nose since the fumes from the ACV can make your eyes water and nose sting. You might have to use a mild cleanser to remove it afterwards (cuz it’s not appropriate to show up to work/school/college looking like you played holi with grease)
I recommend that you do this one in the shower because activated charcoal can be messy. 

3. Gram Flour, Curd and Turmeric

This is the typical Indian dadi/nani ki recipe which has been passed down from one generation to another. This is my go-to detanning face pack, especially when my brother comes back from hostel with 50 shades of tanned.

Method- Mix 1 tsp gram flour (besan) + 1/4th tst haldi + ½ tsp lemon + 1 tsp curd into a smooth paste and apply all over the face (avoid going too close to the eyes). Wash with lukewarm water after 20 minutes and voila! say hello to fresher and cleaner skin.



* Use these masks once a week or once in a fortnight, depending on your skin-type.

4. Vaseline Lip Scrub

This one works so fast you wouldn’t believe it and it is so simple!

Method: Apply a generous layer of vaseline over your lips and use a clean toothbrush (gently) to scrape of all the dead skin to leave you with the softest lips EVER!



BODY ( Use these to get a सुनेहरा बदन)

1. Baking Soda Scrub

I do this every alternate day and I always end up getting compliments for my skin.

Method: Mix 1 or 2 Tbsps baking soda with enough water to make a thick paste and apply all over the body by scrubbing in circular motions and rinse off. Apply generous amount of moisturizer afterwards and you’re good to go. (Little tip: mix a peanut size amount of oil in the lotion for extra soft skin)

2. Salt, Shampoo & Oil Scrub


This is my favorite body scrub recipe. I literally recommend this to everyone! It leaves your skin feeling smooth and nourished!

Method: Mix 4 large Tbsps of salt + 1 Tbsp Shampoo + 1 or 2 Tbsp coconut oil (you can add rose or lavender essential oil for added benefits and the fragrance). Use as you would, any other body scrub and rinse off! No need to moisturize afterwards. There, that’s how easy it is to get smooth skin. No satanic rituals or blood sacrifices required.

3. DIY Pedicure

Summers are approaching and that means wearing beautiful flats and sandals, but it also means tanning and dryness. (हाय ये फटी  एड़ियां). But I have a blockbuster pedicure routine that helps me avoid all the negative effects of wearing open footwear!

Method: Fill hot water in a tub, add 1 Tbsp shampoo + 1/4th Tsp activator (the powder you get with bleach)- mix well and soak your feet in it for 20 minutes then use the baking soda scrub to scrub off the dead cells. Rinse feet with lukewarm water, cut your nails, apply your favorite nail polish and when that is dry (Give it 5-6 hours just to be sure) apply vaseline to your feet and wear socks to lock in the moisture and heal



HAIR (Flip those रेशमी ज़ुल्फ़ें) 

1. Mayonnaise & Curd Hair Mask

I can’t even tell you how many times I have googled things like- how to tame frizzy hair or home remedies for frizzy hair etc. and the totally ridiculous ordeals I have put my hair through in order to get rid of frizz. If you have frizzy hair too you know exactly what I am talking about! One fine day I mixed two different recipes and it turned out to be the answer to all my hair problems!

Method: Mix mayonnaise (preferably with egg) and curd in equal quantities and apply evenly throughout your hair. Wash after 20 minutes with a little extra shampoo than you would use usually. You may skip the conditioner after this.


*Disclaimer- Your hair might not look this glamorous. These are just unusually high standards set by the entertainment industry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts